Do You Know What Food To Eat To Lower Cholesterol

More often than not we are instructed about what food to eat to lower cholesterol. However it is equally essential to know exactly how cholesterol works. We should know what arguments there are for and against the dietary limiting of cholesterol to ensure a longer, healthier and happier life.

Dietary Cholesterol vs. Blood Cholesterol

Contrary to popular belief, not all cholesterol comes from food. In fact, 85% of cholesterol is manufactured by the body while the remaining 15% comes from the food we eat. So what’s the big deal then?

Well, although only 15% of your cholesterol comes from what you eat, it could still add to your body’s cholesterol levels. Where some people may have naturally low endogenous cholesterol (manufactured by the liver) levels, others have high endogenous cholesterol levels. This increase in cholesterol has been associated with a condition called atherosclerosis which is the build up of plaque in the arteries, thereby restricting the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the heart.

Good Cholesterol & Bad Cholesterol

If you’ve done your cholesterol reading, you’ll remember that there is something like “good cholesterol” and “bad cholesterol”. These actually refer to the type of carrier molecule that binds and transports the cholesterol.

When these carrier molecules bind with cholesterol, they form what is called lipoproteins. There are 2 kinds of lipoproteins- low-density lipoproteins (LDL), also known as “bad cholesterol” and high-density lipoproteins (HDL) which is often referred to as “good cholesterol”.

The main reason that LDL is referred to as “bad cholesterol” is not due to the high levels in the blood. It is because of damage incurred by free radicals in the blood that target the cardiovascular system. When LDLs get damaged, they become oxidized. It is this oxidized LDL that sticks to the artery walls, bringing about conditions such as atherosclerosis.

HDL Foods

HDL, or “good cholesterol”, binds with LDL and transports it back to the liver to be “recycled”. However if an individual is suffering from atherosclerosis or high blood cholesterol, then it can simply mean that there are two possible explanations. It could be either they have too little HDL in their blood or, too many free radicals.

It is therefore a good idea to eat HDL-increasing foods such as onions, foods containing niacin or even consume a moderate amount of alcohol. However the key is to lower cholesterol naturally – “bad cholesterol” that is. And as we have stated, “bad cholesterol” is in fact not LDL, but damaged LDLs.

Foods To Avoid (High Cholesterol

So with the aim of keeping the walls that line the arteries clear, we have to focus on foods that do not cause free radicals to circulate in our systems. These include vegetables or meats fried in oil (such as potato, and red meats), foods with refined fats and/or sugars and generally just junk food. These are foods with high cholesterol, but also foods that could increase the free radical count in the blood, thereby increasing the chances of LDL going “bad” and building up inside the arteries.

Diets For High Cholesterol

There are many diets that attempt to combat high cholesterol. These often include foods such as berries and pure green teas. However take note that to truly combat high cholesterol, it is important not to depend too much on low cholesterol food lists alone, but to use them in conjunction with a diet rich in antioxidants to combat those free radicals, thereby leaving your LDLs undamaged and keeping them off your artery walls.

To summarize, we’ll give you our take on how to beat “bad cholesterol”. First on the list, as is usually the case, is exercise. This means moderate exercise for at least 45 minutes, three or four days per week. However exercise alone won’t do the trick.

Still wondering which food to eat to lower cholesterol? A healthy diet consisting of whole, unprocessed food that includes all the essential nutrients and supplements such as Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 6 is essential. These include fruits, vegetables and nuts.

And just in case you are looking for a viable supplement to help you along the way, Cardio-Klenz could be just the thing to keep your heart clean and in good condition.